A question about photography and cameras

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
MicroD

A question about photography and cameras

#1 Post by MicroD » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:40 pm

Hello to all, and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

I'm fairly new to microscopy. I have a Swift Stellar 1 Pro-T microscope, and with it I bought a camera from Amazon (Hayear 2K 34MP...) that I hook up to a monitor.
I notice that the image on the monitor is zoomed in a bit than what I see in the eye piece, even after I take off the 0.5x zoom tubing.

My question is: is this happening because of the camera quality, or is that just how it is? For example, when I put in a slide of whatever, I can see the entire specimen in the eye piece, but the monitor is always zoomed in.

Will this change if I were to buy a good digital camera, and mount it with proper equipment? And will the digital camera also auto focus, or will I continue to focus differently for the eye piece and the camera itself?

I'm sorry if my question is all over the place, but, again, thank you for taking the time to read this.

Greg Howald

Re: A question about photography and cameras

#2 Post by Greg Howald » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:26 am

Most microscope cameras deliver what appears to be the size of nearly a 400x image when you are expecting a 40x image. Without getting technical, your experience is normal.

Greg Howald

#3 Post by Greg Howald » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:38 am

The sensor of the camera tells the tale. Most are listed in camera specs as 1/2. The apparent size of the image changes if the sensitivity of the camera changes. 1/3 will give a different image than 1/2. It's not really the price of the camera. It's the sensitivity . I have some cameras that were pretty expensive, but they don't make a noticeably better image.
Most cameras do not auto focus. To make eyepieces and cameras focus at the same time, you raise or lower the length of the camera tube. Focus with eyepieces and adjust camera height to match focus.
Best images are acquired with a dslr camera. Others on the forum are more experienced with camera issues and they will chime in here to give you more specific info than I can.

jfiresto

#4 Post by jfiresto » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:38 am

MicroD wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:40 pm
... I have a Swift Stellar 1 Pro-T microscope, and with it I bought a camera from Amazon (Hayear 2K 34MP...) that I hook up to a monitor. I notice that the image on the monitor is zoomed in a bit than what I see in the eye piece, even after I take off the 0.5x zoom tubing.... Is this happening because of the camera quality, or is that just how it is?...
Well, everything is just how it is in the real world, but I think I know what you mean. :D

It is common to crop the camera's image a little compared to what you see in the eyepieces to keep the image bright and sharp out to the corners. Some prefer to use a lower power, photo reduction lens to capture a greater field of view, accept some softening and vignetting there, and crop in post. A quick search suggests your camera has a 1/2.33 inch sensor, so an 0.4X photoport relay/reduction lens might be good. But I don't know your microscope and largely use optic-less direct projection into mirrorless camera bodies.
-John

Cristian11

#5 Post by Cristian11 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:19 pm

MicroD wrote:

I'm fairly new to microscopy. I have a Swift Stellar 1 Pro-T microscope, and with it I bought a camera from Amazon (Hayear 2K 34MP...) that I hook up to a monitor.
I notice that the image on the monitor is zoomed in a bit than what I see in the eye piece, even after I take off the 0.5x zoom tubing.

My question is: is this happening because of the camera quality, or is that just how it is? For example, when I put in a slide of whatever, I can see the entire specimen in the eye piece, but the monitor is always zoomed in.

Will this change if I were to buy a good digital camera, and mount it with proper equipment? And will the digital camera also auto focus, or will I continue to focus differently for the eye piece and the camera itself?

I'm sorry if my question is all over the place, but, again, thank you for taking the time to read this.
Where have you bought the microscope from? It seems that ebay is full of dodgy sellers from china that are selling rejects. (got one myself and returned it) I've seen ppl on youtube complaing about its build quality. Which is a shame considering it has good optics.

MicroD

#6 Post by MicroD » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:29 pm

Cristian11 wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:19 pm
MicroD wrote:

Where have you bought the microscope from? It seems that ebay is full of dodgy sellers from china that are selling rejects. (got one myself and returned it) I've seen ppl on youtube complaing about its build quality. Which is a shame considering it has good optics.
I bought it from Amazon, from the Swift store

MicroD

#7 Post by MicroD » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:31 pm

Greg Howald wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:26 am
Most microscope cameras deliver what appears to be the size of nearly a 400x image when you are expecting a 40x image. Without getting technical, your experience is normal.
Thank you for the reply. It's kind of good to know it's not just me :D :lol:

MicroD

#8 Post by MicroD » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:35 pm

Greg Howald wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:38 am
The sensor of the camera tells the tale. Most are listed in camera specs as 1/2. The apparent size of the image changes if the sensitivity of the camera changes. 1/3 will give a different image than 1/2. It's not really the price of the camera. It's the sensitivity . I have some cameras that were pretty expensive, but they don't make a noticeably better image.
Most cameras do not auto focus. To make eyepieces and cameras focus at the same time, you raise or lower the length of the camera tube. Focus with eyepieces and adjust camera height to match focus.
Best images are acquired with a dslr camera. Others on the forum are more experienced with camera issues and they will chime in here to give you more specific info than I can.
Thank you for the information you provided. It seems I got to read up on camera sensors and such. The advice you gave about the raising or lowering of the camera tube works great. :D

MicroD

#9 Post by MicroD » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:40 pm

jfiresto wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:38 am
MicroD wrote:
... I have a Swift Stellar 1 Pro-T microscope, and with it I bought a camera from Amazon (Hayear 2K 34MP...) that I hook up to a monitor. I notice that the image on the monitor is zoomed in a bit than what I see in the eye piece, even after I take off the 0.5x zoom tubing.... Is this happening because of the camera quality, or is that just how it is?...
Well, everything is just how it is in the real world, but I think I know what you mean. :D

It is common to crop the camera's image a little compared to what you see in the eyepieces to keep the image bright and sharp out to the corners. Some prefer to use a lower power, photo reduction lens to capture a greater field of view, accept some softening and vignetting there, and crop in post. A quick search suggests your camera has a 1/2.33 inch sensor, so an 0.4X photoport relay/reduction lens might be good. But I don't know your microscope and largely use optic-less direct projection into mirrorless camera bodies.
Great information, thank you :)
Ultimately, would getting (let's see if I do this right) a dlsr camera with an APS-C sensor help at all? Mounting it with proper equipment, of course.

imkap

#10 Post by imkap » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:28 pm

MicroD wrote:
Ultimately, would getting (let's see if I do this right) a dlsr camera with an APS-C sensor help at all? Mounting it with proper equipment, of course.
From my point of view getting a dslr or a mirrorless camera is a good idea by itself :D
I bought it a few years ago and I'm kind of sorry I didn't do it before...
As for microscopy, there are a lot of combinations which make good results, some of us like cameras with lens, some removing the camera lens and projecting directly into the sensor, others use smartphones with great reaults...
I use a mirrorless Sony a6000, which is a bit old now, but can be bought very cheap used...

blekenbleu

#11 Post by blekenbleu » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:01 pm

Mirrorless has at least 2 advantages over DSLR
* less distance from flange to sensor allows it to be at objective focal plane for some microscopes,
where DSLR sensor will be too far from flange.
* some DSLR cameras have good live view, where one can focus images on the sensor,
but ALL mirrorless always do that. Sometimes best focus in DSLR viewfinder is not best focus on sensor.

APS-C will be better for imaging directly from objective or tube lens, because microscope field is not so large,
but many traditional photo relay lenses are designed for full 35mm field.
40mm turns out to be a good focal length for afocal imaging from regular oculars;
not all camera mounts have a prime 40mm lens.
Metaphot, Optiphot 1, 66; AO 10, 120, EPIStar, Cycloptic

MicroD

#12 Post by MicroD » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:06 pm

imkap wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:28 pm
MicroD wrote:
From my point of view getting a dslr or a mirrorless camera is a good idea by itself :D
I bought it a few years ago and I'm kind of sorry I didn't do it before...
As for microscopy, there are a lot of combinations which make good results, some of us like cameras with lens, some removing the camera lens and projecting directly into the sensor, others use smartphones with great reaults...
I use a mirrorless Sony a6000, which is a bit old now, but can be bought very cheap used...
I haven't own a camera in ages. It does sound tempting now to see what's out there. Thank you so much for all your help

MicroD

#13 Post by MicroD » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:09 pm

blekenbleu wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:01 pm
Mirrorless has at least 2 advantages over DSLR
* less distance from flange to sensor allows it to be at objective focal plane for some microscopes,
where DSLR sensor will be too far from flange.
* some DSLR cameras have good live view, where one can focus images on the sensor,
but ALL mirrorless always do that. Sometimes best focus in DSLR viewfinder is not best focus on sensor.

APS-C will be better for imaging directly from objective or tube lens, because microscope field is not so large,
but many traditional photo relay lenses are designed for full 35mm field.
40mm turns out to be a good focal length for afocal imaging from regular oculars;
not all camera mounts have a prime 40mm lens.
Very useful information here. I'll definitely look more into what you've said here. Thank you very much :)

jfiresto

#14 Post by jfiresto » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:18 am

If you lack room for a computer/HDMI monitor, most mirrorless cameras allow you to frame and focus at the microscope, using their tilting LCD view screens and focus peaking.

APS-C, Micro Four Thirds and Nikon 1 system cameras can all work really well for direction projection on to the sensor – which means more possibilities to snarf and adapt a little used body at a good price.
-John

MicroD

#15 Post by MicroD » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:39 am

jfiresto wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:18 am
If you lack room for a computer/HDMI monitor, most mirrorless cameras allow you to frame and focus at the microscope, using their tilting LCD view screens and focus peaking.

APS-C, Micro Four Thirds and Nikon 1 system cameras can all work really well for direction projection on to the sensor – which means more possibilities to snarf and adapt a little used body at a good price.
Yeah, I've seen that the LCD really comes in handy in this hobby. Definitely will find a camera that has the LCD how I want it :)

Chas

#16 Post by Chas » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:28 pm

If you havent lots to spend on a camera; used Canon EOS 600d [DSLR] bodies are not bad; they have the twist and flip LCD screen and take a plug-in shutter release.
There is quite a fun thing about some models of Canon; an alternative firmware called 'Magic Lantern', this allows them to do non-standard things like very low frame-rate video.
You wouldnt want to put this into the camera straight away /until you are familar with the standard controls, but it can be quite interesting and sometimes useful.
https://magiclantern.fm/
[Disclaimer:I got a used 600D about 8 years ago and haven't noticed a real problem with it on microscopes, but I do dream of having a larger LCD or a link to a tablet and the possibilities of a mirrorless's shorter flange-to-sensor distance].

MicroD

#17 Post by MicroD » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:42 am

Chas wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:28 pm
If you havent lots to spend on a camera; used Canon EOS 600d [DSLR] bodies are not bad; they have the twist and flip LCD screen and take a plug-in shutter release.
There is quite a fun thing about some models of Canon; an alternative firmware called 'Magic Lantern', this allows them to do non-standard things like very low frame-rate video.
You wouldnt want to put this into the camera straight away /until you are familar with the standard controls, but it can be quite interesting and sometimes useful.
https://magiclantern.fm/
[Disclaimer:I got a used 600D about 8 years ago and haven't noticed a real problem with it on microscopes, but I do dream of having a larger LCD or a link to a tablet and the possibilities of a mirrorless's shorter flange-to-sensor distance].
Y'all are full of great info and advice. Thanks so much