Superwide Trinocular Heads = Superwide Photos?

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
heyitsmedusty

Superwide Trinocular Heads = Superwide Photos?

#1 Post by heyitsmedusty » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:42 pm

This might be a really easy one.

I use a CH-2 stand with a standard BH-2 trinocular head. For photography, I use a 3.3x NFK photo eyepiece in the trinocular port. This fills the entire frame of my full frame 6D sensor.

If I were to get a superwide BH-2 trinocular head, does the image in the trinocular port benefit from the expanded 26.5mm field of view? Could I use an NFK photo eyepiece with a lower magnification to capture the superwide field of view of my subject?

If so, would this result in the ability to use a higher magnification objective with the lower magnification NFK photo eyepiece (say 2.5x) for more detail?

viktor j nilsson

Re: Superwide Trinocular Heads = Superwide Photos?

#2 Post by viktor j nilsson » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:49 pm

Nope, the trinocular port is still the same size, so you're still limited to using eyepieces with a ~18-20mm FN.

heyitsmedusty

#3 Post by heyitsmedusty » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:56 pm

But aren't the eyepiece ports the same size on superwide heads as standard heads, both 23mm? The expanded field of view just projects as a larger circle from the same opening.

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:45 am

No, they're wider at 30mm. The widest field you can get into 23mm eyepieces is about 22mm.
It's unfortunate. It eould be possible to do some heretical modifications to mount a 30mm eyepiece on top and do afocal and projection. I don't recall anyone actually doing this though so I am not sure what the results would be like.