Need camera adapter advice

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
jgeez

Need camera adapter advice

#1 Post by jgeez » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:34 pm

How to I connect my Cannon EOS 60D camera to this photo tube:

I do have this adapter which I have used on another microscope:

But the photo tube is not long enough for it. I know if I can find the right connection the camera will work quite well with it.

I need to make a decision about keeping the microscope, so I would appreciate your help.

EYE C U

Re: Need camera adapter advice

#2 Post by EYE C U » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:12 am

will it focus with your eyepieces if you pull it up a bit..you can use orings as spacers if it doesn't take much

jgeez

#3 Post by jgeez » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:17 am

EYE C U wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:12 am
will it focus with your eyepieces if you pull it up a bit..you can use orings as spacers if it doesn't take much
Yes, it will focus quite well if is is raised up. Could you show me an example of the type of oring you are referring to? Thanks.

MichaelG.

#4 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:58 am

jgeez wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:17 am
EYE C U wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:12 am
Yes, it will focus quite well if is is raised up. Could you show me an example of the type of oring you are referring to? Thanks.
More information about o-rings than you are ever likely to need: https://www.sealanddesign.com/technical/o-ring-sizes/
You just need to find a size that slides nicely onto that adapter and then stack them.

They are widely available, cheaply, once you know what you are looking for.

MichaelG.

Edit: __ If the camera needs to be raised higher than that; try making an extension tube from plastic plumbing components.
Too many 'projects'

Alexander

#5 Post by Alexander » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:10 am

Just the other day I recognized a high-end microscope at an university laboratory with the camera attached by gaffer tape. :geek:

MichaelG.

#6 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:14 am

Alexander wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:10 am
Just the other day I recognized a high-end microscope at an university laboratory with the camera attached by gaffer tape. :geek:
As my [musician] son likes to say:

If you can’t fix it with gaffer tape, you are not using enough tape !

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Dubious

#7 Post by Dubious » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:26 pm

"While sometimes confused with duct tape, gaffer tape differs in the composition of both the backing, which is made from fabric as opposed to vinyl or other plastics, and the adhesive, which is more resistant to heat and more easily removed without damaging the surface to which it adhered.
. . .
Gaffer tape is usually more expensive than duct tape because it is manufactured in smaller quantities, has more exacting specifications, and is marketed for professional use. A common application for gaffer tape is securing cables to a stage floor, podium, or other surface, either for safety or concealment. It is also frequently used whenever a quick ad hoc fix is required, from temporarily attaching fixtures or props, to salvaging a broken piece of production equipment. A narrow version of gaffer tape, called spike tape, is used in theater productions for floor layout."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape

jgeez

#8 Post by jgeez » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:04 pm

Thank you for all the really helpful ideas. Excellent.

EYE C U

#9 Post by EYE C U » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:34 pm

O-RING COME IN DIFFERENT THICKNESSES SO YOU CAN DIAL IT IN IF YOU CAN DO THE MATH