New Camera very dark

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
AuntieAunty

New Camera very dark

#1 Post by AuntieAunty » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:24 am

I recently got a new ToupTech camera (U3CMOS14000KPA). I needed an upgrade on fps (for livestreaming) and it certainly achieved that, however, when hooking it up to ToupView, it just seems very dark and needs a lot of correction, which leads to a lot of noise. I don't know if I've missed a step somewhere, but I've seen other videos with other U3CMOS cameras that don't seem to have this noise issue. It's also difficult to get dialed in as the image never quite gets truly sharp, it always seems just a tad blurry. My previous SwiftCam (USB 2.0) did not have an issue with brightness or blurriness and needed very minimal program brightening.

The actual view through the eyepiece is incredibly bright white, so I have no idea why it's coming in so dark through the camera. It is using an adjustable eyepiece adapter as my microscope doesn't have a C-mount.

This was recording with the 10/.25 objective, and the adjustable adapter fully back (as it was brightest at lesser magnification).

If anyone has advice or tips for why this might be happening and how to correct it, I would be very greatful.

MichaelG.

Re: New Camera very dark

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:14 am

At first glance … the opening seconds [no correction] of your video simply look like the camera is auto-metering on area.
… by default that would average the whole frame to about Zone V

See the Zone System table, here: https://fstoppers.com/education/how-use ... rld-417047

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

AuntieAunty

#3 Post by AuntieAunty » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:49 am

MichaelG. wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:14 am

At first glance … the opening seconds [no correction] of your video simply look like the camera is auto-metering on area.
… by default that would average the whole frame to about Zone V

See the Zone System table, here: https://fstoppers.com/education/how-use ... rld-417047

MichaelG.
Maybe this is the step I'm missing, is there a way to control the ToupCam settings before it gets into ToupView? The online installation manual was a bit outdated and I didn't find much information on the camera itself in there, just the ToupView software and how to adjust it (which doesn't help much when the base image coming in is dark).

MichaelG.

#4 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:14 am

Sorry … I don’t use ToupView, so can’t advise

Hopefully someone will pick-up my thought and run with it

MichaelG.

Edit: __ I did just find this ToupView Help Manual though:
http://www.touptek.com/upload/download/ ... iew_en.pdf
The bottom of p8 and top of p9 look promising
Too many 'projects'