Swiftcam 5 megapixel camera

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
MicroPunter

Swiftcam 5 megapixel camera

#1 Post by MicroPunter » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:29 pm

Hi everyone,
I just received a Swiftcam 5 megapixel camera. I have a Trinocular Swift SW380T microscope but the supplied adaptor tubes refused to connect to my camera port on the microscope. I finally resorted to using the reduction tube optic and fitted it to one of the eyepieces, where the camera works perfectly. Obviously this is not ideal but at least I have a working camera.

The software that came with the Swiftcam was on CD but they do give a website where you can download the software for Windows, Mac and Linux. I wanted to use my MacBook, so downloaded the .dmg file. Once installed Max OS wouldn’t let the program run, it reported it couldn’t verify the author. So, I pulled out my Windows laptop and downloaded the Windows version, where it worked. So, just a warning to Max users, if you want a Swiftcam you will have to use a different software package.

I’ll soon be generating some images I will try to share, and I hope people will be critical, as I’m new to microscopy I’d appreciate all the pointers I can get.

Thanks,

Kevin

MichaelG.

Re: Swiftcam 5 megapixel camera

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:12 pm

I had similar warnings on my M1 Mac mini, Kevin … when I first tried to install the Motic software

Apple has got very strict about verification [i.e. they get involved, and charge authors accordingly]

If you are happy to trust the author, it only takes a few clicks to bypass that blockage
Details should be on apple.com under whatever OS you are using.

Bedtime now … but I can probably point you in the right direction if you haven’t found it tomorrow.

Obviously the decision, and any risk, is yours !

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MicroPunter

#3 Post by MicroPunter » Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:25 am

Thanks Michael, I found it under the security settings. That works fine now. Much better than Windows!

MichaelG.

#4 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:11 am

MicroPunter wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:25 am
Thanks Michael, I found it under the security settings. That works fine now. Much better than Windows!

Thanks for the feedback, which is well-worth noting

This is Progress indeed … We very rarely hear of any camera software where the Mac version is better.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MicroPunter

#5 Post by MicroPunter » Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:10 pm

Hi Michael, I don’t know if it is just my bias, wanting my shiny new MacBook to be better than my old Windows laptop, but the images does seem clearer and there seems much less lag when you move the stage to a different position. The layout of the program is virtually the same, only without all the menus, this can be a problem as I'm now not Sur ewhere to find things like time lapse. But the toolbar is the same and so is the sidebar.

Some good news, I found a tube that came with the microscope but had been put away, by a very little boy who thought he was helping out. The tube is the one that connects my camera to the Trinocular port on the scope. So, now I don’t lose an eyepiece when I want to take photos. Oh joy, I am such a happy chap!

Kevin