How can i fix the checker pattern created from 3x binning?

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
Topcode

How can i fix the checker pattern created from 3x binning?

#1 Post by Topcode » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:32 am

In order to record high fps video, I have used the 3x binning option, which allows me to use higher framerate, on a larger area, with higher sensitivity. The issue is that this binning leaves behind a checker pattern, which i assume is due to the partial coverage of bayer patterns when binning 9 pixel groups. So I need a solution to this in post processing, does anyone know of one, or how i could create one? Here is an example of the effect, only visible in the top one(1350 fps), and kinda destroyed by the compression, but you can see it.

Chas

Re: How can i fix the checker pattern created from 3x binning?

#2 Post by Chas » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:17 am

I can hardly see any checker pattern, just a bit of roughness to the background.
It is great to see the flagella in slow motion!! :-)
....Hypnotic.

I guess doing this requires quite a powerful illumination?

Topcode

Re: How can i fix the checker pattern created from 3x binning?

#3 Post by Topcode » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:51 am

Chas wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:17 am
I can hardly see any checker pattern, just a bit of roughness to the background.
Yes, it’s quite a lot more apparent when looking at the uncompressed files, I’ll have to see if I can upload a png that shows it better when I’m home in a few hours.
Chas wrote:
It is great to see the flagella in slow motion!! :-)
....Hypnotic.
It really is quite amazing, I am going to try and find more creatures that look good under slow motion, any suggestions? I’m gonna try and get a blepharisma soon, but the one problem with that is that they move pretty fast and it’s hard to keep them in the very small FOV.
Chas wrote:
I guess doing this requires quite a powerful illumination?
Surprisingly, no. I’m just using the 3 watt led on my swift m10t with this, I’m using HCG but no gain on top of that. What I am doing, is I removed the diffuser, meaning the light is more concentrated, though this has some side effects which I have not worked out yet, but are thankfully not very apparent.