Canon adapter or USB camera ?

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
zzffnn

Re: Canon adapter or USB camera ?

#1 Post by zzffnn » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:38 pm

Canon mount would get you better photos. Your T490 has C mount trino, so any generic (and much cheaper) Canon-to-C mount adapter will work. eBay has those.

USB camera cannot use flash (which many find useful for microphotography), but any DSLR can. DSLR also has much better light sensitivity/image balance.

Welcome to the forum!

JimT

#2 Post by JimT » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:18 pm

Definitely go with the Canon. It will work great with remote shooting.

charlie

#3 Post by charlie » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:18 pm

Bagrat wrote:This is my first post and i'm already asking for your help, so I apologize for being so useless.
I resemble that remark! :-)

Not that you would want it but I am using a Canon T1i and this adapter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICROSCOPE-ADAP ... XQPW5SHigV

I agree with Jim and Fan - go with your Canon and the Amscope adapter. (Get a remote shutter release.)

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:57 pm

That Amscope adapter seems to have Canon-to-scope eyepiece, but not canon-to-C mount. Your trinocular tube has a C mount, so you want Canon-to-C mount. Generic ones probably costs less than $25 each.

Edited for grammar.
Last edited by zzffnn on Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

einman

#5 Post by einman » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:28 am

Go with the canon. I use a Canon T3I and it works great.

charlie

#6 Post by charlie » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:04 am

I think Fan has more insight on what you need than I do. For my arrangement, it got me close but i am still fooling with spacers to get the view & focus of the oculars to match what the camera sees. You'll also need an ocular or other lens in the phototube.

zzffnn

#7 Post by zzffnn » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:22 am

I apologize, as I overlooked a few specifications mentioned by AmScope. They said that T490 has a 23 mm photo tube, with a (removable) C Mount adapter. I thought it has a fixed C mount tube.

That Amscope adapter will likely work as it is, once you remove the scope's C mount adapter. The adapter has 2x optics in it, which is probably more magnification than what your APS-C Canon senor really needs (which needs around 1.6x, if I remember correctly). That means your eyes will see wider field than camera can record. But you do need magnification optics in the adapter (sorry generic adapter without optics will not work well - I overlooked), as without it, around half of your camera sensor will be wasted.

I might be wrong though. My camera arrangement is compeletly different than yours and I am speaking from my memory of what I read online. Please do wait for other members' comments.

charlie

#8 Post by charlie » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:02 pm

While you are waiting, why not email Amscope and ask them?

I believe the Ebay adapter and another ocular lens will work. (But will require a bit of tinkering.) I would think that the Amscope made converter for Canon would work. (But they have two adapters with unknown differences.)

In the end, I suggest you send the Amscope email and relax and wait for more input. There are people here that use Amscopes for photography and will likely be along soon to give us more info. :-)

75RR

#9 Post by 75RR » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:14 pm

The Amscope adapter will work.
The one charlie linked to needs a projector lens, so is not complete.

This link explains how it all works:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=882
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

JimT

#10 Post by JimT » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:24 pm

Bagrat, definitely Email Amscope. I have a 60D and bought the Amscope adapter they recommended. It is a complete unit and focus can be tweaked to be parfocal with focus thru the eyepieces.

Crater Eddie

#11 Post by Crater Eddie » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:23 pm

The Amscope site also has an online chat feature that I use occasionally. If you can catch them it can be pretty handy.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

JimT

#12 Post by JimT » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:52 am

Bagrat , go with the Amscope Canon adopter with the lens. That is what I use with my 60D and I think it is great. You can set it up for parfocal so what you see focused in the eyepieces is what the camera sees.

Secondly, plan objectives are a good upgrade for the 4x , 10x, and maybe the 40x. but beyond that the DOF (depth of field) is so narrow it will not matter. Even with plan objectives you will have to stack images because the camera lens is much more critical than the human eye :)

Congrats on the T490B. Enjoy it.

JimT

gekko

#13 Post by gekko » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:11 am

Congratulations on your new microscope!
[I am not sure you asked, but the test image #1 (Halogen lamp) looks excellent to my eye. In test 2 and 3 the illumination quality appears to be quite inadequate and I don't think it will give you good resolution (color apart).]

gekko

#14 Post by gekko » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:33 am

Bagrat wrote:Gekko : Thank you gekko, I am still going to try to go with other illumination than the one included in the lamp, I think flash guns would even give much sharper images.
For what it is worth, I would stick with the original halogen illumination in the beginning. Replacing it with another source require that you design it to fully illuminate the aperture of your objectives in order not to seriously deteriorate the resolution (as happened in your test 2 and test 3 images above). At least that is what I think, and others may not agree. Enjoy your very nice microscope!