The Canon EOS-M as a microscope camera.

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
The QCC

The Canon EOS-M as a microscope camera.

#1 Post by The QCC » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:50 am

I recently brought my old Bauch & Lomb monocular microscope back into service and needed a camera to take snaps of the specimens.

I purchased a used Canon EOS-M body with the intent of using extension tubes and the Nikon 2.5x projection eyepiece..
I knew the EOS-M used a different lens mount and ordered the EOS-M to EF converter at the same time.

The camera and adapter arrived safely and I assembled the extension tubes. With the camera mounted on the B & L viewing tube and a USB cable plugged into the computer, I turned the camera on.

The Canon EOS Utilites dutifully started, but the Remote shooting menu was missing. I had just assumed all recent Canon EOS branded cameras supported remote shooting. They do, but not the EOS-M. Apparently something to do with the moon phases of Jupiter.

The EOS Utilities will download the images to the computer, so all was not lost.
EOS-M_Top.jpg
EOS-M_Top.jpg (68.71 KiB) Viewed 4213 times
The EOS-M has an 18MP APS-C sensor with a reasonably wide noise free ISO range and full control of the shooting options via its touch sensitive LCD screen.
The camera is mirrorless and there is no movement of the camera when the shutter is tripped. A light tap on the touch screen is all that is required to take a photo.
EOS_M_LCD.jpg
EOS_M_LCD.jpg (76.08 KiB) Viewed 4213 times
Almost all photo taking actions are done using the touch screen including a 5x and 10x zoom permitting very accurate focusing.

The touch screen is quite useful when the camera is used on a microscope, but I am not convinced it would be a desired feature for normal photography.

As a microscope camera candidate all of the boxes can be checked off with the exception of Remote Shooting. The camera is sturdy, has a good sized sensor, full control of the shooting process, and if purchased used is reasonably priced.

Dry flower leaf 10x obj.
DryFlowerLeafCanon_EOS-M__33_10x.jpg
DryFlowerLeafCanon_EOS-M__33_10x.jpg (79.57 KiB) Viewed 4213 times
Fried Liebfraumich wine on my DIY heater. A $19.00 inverted steam iron. 10x obj. Darkfield stop 12mm
Liebfraumilch_MNB__005_10x_DF12.jpg
Liebfraumilch_MNB__005_10x_DF12.jpg (79 KiB) Viewed 4213 times

gekko

Re: The Canon EOS-M as a microscope camera.

#2 Post by gekko » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:03 pm

Congratulations! To my eyes, those images look among the sharpest you've posted.

The QCC

#3 Post by The QCC » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:45 pm

They are sharper, but only because the thin section mineral slides I normally photograph tend to be less defined.

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:39 pm

I remember Liebfraumilch as a rather inoffensive white wine.
You seem to have found a stronger vintage. Hope you managed to rescue your steam iron.
Agree with gekko, they are sharper. There are a lot of interesting alga out there waiting for you to take their picture.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)