Would you use camera instead of eyepiece?

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
Crater Eddie

Would you use camera instead of eyepiece?

#1 Post by Crater Eddie » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:18 pm

If you had a nice fast camera that streamed live video to your computer, and a nice crisp monitor, would you even bother to look through the eyepiece(s)?
Does anyone here operate that way?
Just curious.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

lorez

Re: Would you use camera instead of eyepiece?

#2 Post by lorez » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:53 pm

CE,

I do, it does, and I don't... in some cases. There is always a little lost when using a screen so it really depends upon what my goal is. I really prefer the eyepiece view but when I am trying to compose a photo then the screen is the best because that is what the recipient of the photo is going to see.

Best wishes,

lorez

JimT

#3 Post by JimT » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:31 am

CE, some critters move so fast the FOV and DOF can't keep up without an eye at the eyepiece.
For still images it would be acceptable but still nice to have two eyes fine turning the focus and lighting.

Peter

#4 Post by Peter » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:26 pm

Hi CE,
you are probably not going to see the full field of view on your computer monitor, but I guess if that's the way you view all the time you'll never miss the bits outside the monitor.
Peter.

Crater Eddie

#5 Post by Crater Eddie » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:36 pm

I am not contemplating operating this way, I just thought it was a valid question, especially with cameras getting better and better.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

lorez

#6 Post by lorez » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:15 pm

Just a quick thought on Peter's comment. Most of the time users establish a region of interest and devote their concentration on that area. When using the camera and monitor the ROI is what is featured and the rest of the specimen is immaterial. This does not change the fact that you do not see everything you would see in the screen. Using a reducing lens ahead of the camera helps to provide a larger area to the sensor. I use a 0.5X in place of a 1X, but as I mentioned earlier, it really depends upon what one's immediate needs are.

lorez

75RR

#7 Post by 75RR » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:04 pm

I suppose those with a monocular are doing so.
Have a look at Oliver's microscopes in the My microscope section. The first one, a uSCOPE MXII digital microscope has no viewing head. It is designed to be viewed solely on a monitor.
Do not know if that is the future, it might be.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

vasselle

#8 Post by vasselle » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:30 pm

Bonjour a tous.
Je préfère la vision a oculaire quand je fait de la photos aussi bien avec APN Canon ou de la camera MicroCam.
Car APN et la camera et réglé de telle sorte que quand je fait la mise au point sur le spécimen avec oculaire gauche j'ai exactement la même mise au point sur mes deux appareils photos.
Et on voit mieux les fins détails a l’œil a oculaire du microscope que sur un écran de contrôle.
Cordialement seb
Microscope Leitz Laborlux k
Boitier EOS 1200D + EOS 1100D

gekko

#9 Post by gekko » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:50 am

I cannot answer your interesting question because I cannot see the images from the camera on my monitor.

mrsonchus

#10 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:52 pm

Personally I would say no I wouldn't, as well as - definitely, but instead of - no. I've an 18mp Canon mounted on my 'scope but I still see a far superior image through the binocs. But, I suspect that the lower the magnification of the camera->'scope lens not only the greater the FOV of the camera but the greater the quality of the camera's image, on account of there being reduced 'empty magnification'. I really don't know if this is correct but it may make sense?

I've a 35 year old Swift x10 objective from my N0.2 'scope as my camera->scope lens at the moment and I really think I must upgrade this ASAP as this is a very weak link in my outfit's setup at the moment! I'll go for something in the region of a x2 I think (or lower maybe?)...

regards
John B