Video Editing Software

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
LouiseScot

Re: Video Editing Software

#31 Post by LouiseScot » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:19 pm

Ethan1989 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:07 pm
SWmicro wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:55 pm
LouiseScot wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:46 pm
I use Openshot which is freeware and quite intuitive:
https://www.openshot.org/
seconded :)
Openshot is very easy to use/learn . My fav.

VSDC, https://www.videosoftdev.com/
also free, has a very neat colour correction gizmo.

Shotcut does not work, when I last looked, on my windows7, it demands some extra dlls which are present in its folder but it does not seem to know that !

Do we know what Oliver/Microbehunter uses ?
The Draw back of Openshot is as I know It export file in very large Size like when I edit video for my Youtube Channel 5 Min video exceed 300 MBS :o :o then I had to go for the video editor and then compress the size of the video. No doubt Openshot is very good and easy to use.

You can easily set the format and output quality there are lots of options under Target and Video Profile. You have to read the online user guide!
https://www.openshot.org/user-guide/
OpenshotExport.JPG
OpenshotExport.JPG (39.62 KiB) Viewed 9884 times

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo

Ethan1989

#32 Post by Ethan1989 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:36 pm

LouiseScot wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:19 pm
Ethan1989 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:07 pm
SWmicro wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:55 pm

seconded :)
Openshot is very easy to use/learn . My fav.

VSDC, https://www.videosoftdev.com/
also free, has a very neat colour correction gizmo.

Shotcut does not work, when I last looked, on my windows7, it demands some extra dlls which are present in its folder but it does not seem to know that !

Do we know what Oliver/Microbehunter uses ?
The Draw back of Openshot is as I know It export file in very large Size like when I edit video for my Youtube Channel 5 Min video exceed 300 MBS :o :o then I had to go for the video editor and then compress the size of the video. No doubt Openshot is very good and easy to use.

You can easily set the format and output quality there are lots of options under Target and Video Profile. You have to read the online user guide!
https://www.openshot.org/user-guide/

OpenshotExport.JPG

Louise
Sure I will try to export with medium Setting and trying different setting may be I found this very good and interesting

DonSchaeffer

#33 Post by DonSchaeffer » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:59 am

I use Corel VideoStudio. Not perfect, but practical, and it comes with a fair bit of License Free Music.

SWmicro

#34 Post by SWmicro » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:29 am

LouiseScot wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:19 pm
You can easily set the format and output quality there are lots of options
Yes!
as Louise says :)

I suppose one could say that OpenShot gives too many Targets, Profiles and Quality options.

A simple solution to the meggafilesize problem (not limited to Openshot !) is, if you have the upload bandwidth to your ISP, to upload it, let YT do the compressing, then download the result* - - else use other file compression software.

*Test : Just done that with a 2minute/200Mb file at MP4(h264) and got back a 5Mb file :)
Quite adequate for InWebBrowser viewing on YT

microcosmos

#35 Post by microcosmos » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:57 am

I use DaVinci Resolve. The selling points for me are:

- completely free version available

- very powerful (they use it to make Hollywood films) with all the capabilities built in. It doesn't lack some critical function you suddenly need for a particular situation, unlike certain open-source applications where users really want this missing function but there is no definite timeline for its introduction. I am all support for open source, and gratefully use open source applications myself, but I'm just objectively stating some of the unavoidable issues.

- learning curve quite ok for the capabilities you get (I have some experience with basic video editing for news broadcast so I admit I'm not a total beginner, but I'm not a professional video editor by any means). A quick google usually gets me unstuck.

- refined and intuitive user interface for a video editing software, that doesn't suddenly behave or crash unexpectedly as some complicated open source applications do (in general, not specifically video editing ones). Obviously there are open source ones that are refined and stable.

LouiseScot

#36 Post by LouiseScot » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:39 am

microcosmos wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:57 am

- very powerful (they use it to make Hollywood films) with all the capabilities built in. It doesn't lack some critical function you suddenly need for a particular situation, unlike certain open-source applications where users really want this missing function but there is no definite timeline for its introduction. I am all support for open source, and gratefully use open source applications myself, but I'm just objectively stating some of the unavoidable issues.

- learning curve quite ok for the capabilities you get (I have some experience with basic video editing for news broadcast so I admit I'm not a total beginner, but I'm not a professional video editor by any means). A quick google usually gets me unstuck.

- refined and intuitive user interface for a video editing software, that doesn't suddenly behave or crash unexpectedly as some complicated open source applications do (in general, not specifically video editing ones). Obviously there are open source ones that are refined and stable.
That one seems a bit over the top for just making microscopy videos!

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo

microcosmos

#37 Post by microcosmos » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:33 pm

LouiseScot wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:39 am
microcosmos wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:57 am

That one seems a bit over the top for just making microscopy videos!

Louise
Yes it’s over the top if one just wants to make a videomicrograph, but suppose one wants to make a documentary about microbe hunting that includes videomicrographs, microscope optics/engineering (DIC technology etc) along with interviews of the microscopist and shots of field trips to collect plankton samples with a plankton net etc - then a full-featured programme might be useful.

Not that I am qualified to do this kind of thing, nor that the original post wanted this :lol:

david_b

#38 Post by david_b » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:58 pm

Another vote for Davinci Resolve free version.

josmann

#39 Post by josmann » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:35 am

Davinci Resolve is what I've been using for my videos. There is absolutely a huge depth of power in the feature set (better than any other freeware I've ever seen) but you can also ignore the fast majority of it and just use it like a simpler editing program. I think they've done a wonderful job making it both accessible and powerful. I highly recommend Casey Faris' youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/CaseyFaris777) as he makes a lot of very digestible videos on how to use the features as a beginner. Everything on my youtube channel so far (see signature) was color corrected and edited in Davinci Resolve 17. One caveat is that it can quickly eat up your system resources if you start to do a lot in the fusion/color tabs. I have a very high end PC and it still weeps when I'm trying to edit 4K video!

I did end up buying the paid version for a couple features (mainly the advanced noise reduction stuff), but that includes free updates for life and you can bundle their speed editor keyboard with that which is very slick and fun to use.
The highest quality live-streamed microscopy in the world.
Sundays around 8PST: https://www.youtube.com/@diettoms/streams
Occasionally (for now): https://www.twitch.tv/diettoms

Join the Discord: https://discord.gg/FgpUUnJaSE

smollerthings

#40 Post by smollerthings » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:26 am

josmann wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:35 am
Everything on my youtube channel so far (see signature) was color corrected
I was wondering, what kind of color correction do you do? Is it saturation adjustment or something more advanced?

josmann

#41 Post by josmann » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:52 am

smollerthings wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:26 am
josmann wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:35 am
Everything on my youtube channel so far (see signature) was color corrected
I was wondering, what kind of color correction do you do? Is it saturation adjustment or something more advanced?
More advanced I would say. It varies especially since I'm still trying to figure out the best capture settings. Generally I'm trying to portray what I'm seeing through the eyepieces pretty faithfully. My Sony camera, however, loves to tell chromatic lies and will often do weird stuff to the color presentation. One example is that it loves to turn perfect chloroplast green into canary yellow. So a lot of times I'll use the color warper to remap yellows to be a bit more green. And then generally just a lot of playing with the color wheels to get the exposure nicely balanced (Great intro video on these - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJnMkchydrM). If you play with it enough and especially learn how to read the color scopes, you'll get a real intuition for why something doesn't look good to you. It's to the point now where I hardly look at the image - I just look at the scopes and I can usually dial in what I want by playing with the lift/gamma/gain.

Another confounding factor is that modern cameras can shoot with gamma curves/color spaces that will not look good out of the camera but are designed to preserve more of certain types of scene detail. Lately I've been pretty happy with shooting in HLG since I think it does a better job of preserving highlight detail. In Resolve, my first color correction step for HLG footage is to apply a color space transform to map from the Rec 2020 standard and HLG gamma curve to Rec 709 (the typical SDR color space) - then I tweak from there.

As with normal photography, it's challenging to capture certain scenes faithfully. A lot of what we look at has a ton of dynamic range both in brightness and color and usually you've got to translate that semi-faithfully into a less dynamic output. At some point I'll definitely try my hand at mastering HDR footage which could be easier or way harder - I'm not sure. Sometimes I barely have to do anything after the color space transform, which I interpret as "I set my exposure and white balance perfectly for that scene." Hopefully I can learn to do that more reliably as I get more experience.
The highest quality live-streamed microscopy in the world.
Sundays around 8PST: https://www.youtube.com/@diettoms/streams
Occasionally (for now): https://www.twitch.tv/diettoms

Join the Discord: https://discord.gg/FgpUUnJaSE

smollerthings

#42 Post by smollerthings » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:21 am

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I need to look into the color wheel magic. ;)

smollerthings

#43 Post by smollerthings » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:53 am

Guys, how do you annotate your videos? Does your video editing software allow you to do that easily? Like placing arrows and text by drag and drop, Powerpoint style? It is not Kdenlive's forte.

SWmicro

#44 Post by SWmicro » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:29 pm

smollerthings wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:53 am
Does your video editing software allow you to do that easily? Like placing arrows and text by drag and drop, Powerpoint style? It is not Kdenlive's forte.

I dont do it directly in my video editor (Openshot, I wonder if KD can do similar) :-

I first prepare the graphic overlay in Gimp or Irfanview. I make a transparent png and add text, arrows, etc to it.
Then I place that 'image.png' in a track above my video track .
an example below of one I am working on, to upload soon, showing where I add the scale bar.

In Gimp it is especially easy to use layers to prepare your overlay images. Make a base layer with a frame from the vid (click camera icon in Openshot) to act as a guide (and to ensure that the png ends up at the right frame size !)
Add your notations in layers above. Then make active only those layers you want at various times and export each set of layers as a png, (excluding the base frame).
HTH
notate.jpg
notate.jpg (41 KiB) Viewed 9714 times

smollerthings

#45 Post by smollerthings » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:38 pm

Thanks!

I ended up installing Davinci Resolve that manages it quite easily. Kdenlive may get there some day too as they are working on a new text engine. Video editing software don't have powerpoint style capabilities, which is a shame.

LouiseScot

#46 Post by LouiseScot » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:28 pm

smollerthings wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:38 pm
Thanks!

I ended up installing Davinci Resolve that manages it quite easily. Kdenlive may get there some day too as they are working on a new text engine. Video editing software don't have powerpoint style capabilities, which is a shame.
You can usually insert still images (to software like OpenShot), and those stills could be a screen grab from PowerPoint (or anything else), or an edited frame from your video, or any other image file. But maybe not good enough for you?

Louise

smollerthings

#47 Post by smollerthings » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:45 pm

Actually I just needed some basic annotation tools and curiously, neither openshot or Kdenlive have something like that. I would think many people want to insert some comments on their videos. Davinci has some tools for that (but it is a bit convoluted)

LouiseScot

#48 Post by LouiseScot » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:57 pm

smollerthings wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:45 pm
Actually I just needed some basic annotation tools and curiously, neither openshot or Kdenlive have something like that. I would think many people want to insert some comments on their videos. Davinci has some tools for that (but it is a bit convoluted)
You can add annotations in OpenShot e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5n4sTh21_A

Louise

KattyPerry56

#49 Post by KattyPerry56 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:43 pm

You should pay attention to universal criteria when choosing video editing software. Let's find out what distinguishes good video editors from ordinary ones.
Interface: A comfortable interface for beginners will save a lot of time to learn and getting acquainted with the program; this factor helped the program https://www.movavi.com/support/how-to/how-to-compress-mp4.html. As for design, there is no single recipe. Some users like the modern and intuitive version, while others may find the old-style editors more convenient.

eastonh

#50 Post by eastonh » Sat May 14, 2022 8:46 am

Chose a software for myself SolveigMM WMP Trimmer (download https://www.solveigmm.com/en/products/w ... er-plugin/ ) is a tool that allows transforming Windows Media Player into a full-fledged Media Editor. WMP Trimmer plugin allows editing parts of multimedia files directly from Windows Media Player while maintaining intact quality and being lossless in synchronization. By downloading the software, you can create webinars, remove TV ads, censor content for children, create ringtones for mobile phones and many other editing actions for video and audio.

DonBro

#51 Post by DonBro » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:30 am

Hi! I haven't worked with SolveigMM WMP Trimmer, but I was testing HyperCam https://www.solveigmm.com/en/products/hypercam/ with this video editor you can slice and merge videos, add transitions, text, graphics, overlay video, voiceover.