Kentallenite, a thin section. #1 in the Gekko Rocks Series

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
The QCC

Kentallenite, a thin section. #1 in the Gekko Rocks Series

#1 Post by The QCC » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:21 am

Many thanks go out to Gekko who sent me eight rocks that I could deconstruct into thin sections.
Kentallenite is the first in a series of eight thin sections. Four have been completed and will have their world premiere on this forum. The remaining four hopefully will be completed in the fullness of time.

This is the Kentallenite rock before grinding. The number 42 is the production number.
Kentallenite, #1 in the Gekko Rocks Series
Kentallenite, #1 in the Gekko Rocks Series
Kentalenite.jpg (62.5 KiB) Viewed 11495 times
Click on the photo to see the Kentallenite presentation.
Kentallentite, 2x obj.
Kentallentite, 2x obj.
Kentallenite47_5MLX_2x_248.jpg (88.65 KiB) Viewed 11495 times
[/url]

gekko

Re: Kentallenite, a thin section. #1 in the Gekko Rocks Series

#2 Post by gekko » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:50 am

You've done a superb job! What beautiful, luminous colors! Excellent photos as well. Thanks for sharing. And congratulations on your Eclipse 200 (did you get that recently?)

The QCC

#3 Post by The QCC » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:00 am

Thanks Gekko:

I quite liked making the first four thin sections. The next four are ready for slicing.
I was quite apprehensive about what would show under the microscope. I have looked at two, the next two will be photographed tomorrow.

Yes, the Nikon E200 is new. I have only briefly looked at some prepared slides. I am waiting for the darkfield slider and condenser to arrive.
The images are incredibly sharp. I may try some of my polarizer lens as a fun exercise.

Rodney

#4 Post by Rodney » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:22 am

Very nice thin sections the colors are remarkable.

Rodney

Crater Eddie

#5 Post by Crater Eddie » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:15 am

Nice sectioning! And I did notice your SF references.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

billbillt

#6 Post by billbillt » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:22 am

Geological sections are one of my favorite subjects... This one is VERY good...
BillT

vasselle

#7 Post by vasselle » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:33 pm

Bonjour.
Très belle section.
Merci pour le partage.
Cordialement seb
Microscope Leitz Laborlux k
Boitier EOS 1200D + EOS 1100D

JimT

#8 Post by JimT » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:12 pm

Nothing like answering the first post after the second post re "Gekko rocks". Now I understand the reference.

Look forward to more premiers.

gekko

#9 Post by gekko » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:35 pm

What is an "SF reference"? I've been puzzling over this, and all I got from Google was San Francisco :oops:

The QCC

#10 Post by The QCC » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:07 am

Re: SF reference.
I believe Crater Eddie is referring to "the fullness of time" by Kate Wilhelm. One of my favourite writers.

Crater Eddie

#11 Post by Crater Eddie » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:42 am

That, and the use of the number 42. I thought the use of both references just couldn't be a coincidence.
(42 is the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything)
SF in this case is for Science Fiction.
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

The QCC

#12 Post by The QCC » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:20 am

Stick out your thumb.
Space Station 4
Space Station 4
Jack3b.jpg (74.93 KiB) Viewed 11434 times
Don't panic!

billbillt

#13 Post by billbillt » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:13 pm

What is this?....

The QCC

#14 Post by The QCC » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:57 pm

"This" is a photo of a space station I visited while hitch hiking throughout the galaxy.

P.S.
Don't panic!
The 3D drawing was made in TrueSpace. I use microscope photos as texture maps in 3D graphics programmes.
Selfie of me and my ship
Selfie of me and my ship
TheAviator.jpg (84.19 KiB) Viewed 11423 times

Crater Eddie

#15 Post by Crater Eddie » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:10 pm

Sorry I hijacked your thread.
But at least I know where my towel is.
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

The QCC

#16 Post by The QCC » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:17 pm

A bit of humour makes a rainy day brighter.

zzffnn

#17 Post by zzffnn » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:33 pm

Very beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

May I buy a thin section of the same rock, The QCC or Gekko? Whoever owns the thin sections now, if you are kind enough to sell one to me (and ship to Texas 77030 USA), please kindly PM me for details.

This thin section is one of the most beautiful samples that I have seen (I have seen/owned kentallenite and quite a few other rock thin sections). The color pattern of this one almost looks like some meteorites.

The QCC

#18 Post by The QCC » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:36 pm

zzffnn:

You should contact Gekko about the rocks. He gave them to me to make thin sections.

The Kentallenite sample was "softer" than most rocks I have ground and I was only able to get one slide. If you would like to contact me send an email to
Kentallenite @ hennig.ca

zzffnn

#19 Post by zzffnn » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:32 pm

Thank you QCC,

I will wait and see what Gekko says then. I am not hoping much since there is only one slide.

gekko

#20 Post by gekko » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:50 pm

The QCC, lovely pictures (I assume those are in the same vein as The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy? (forgive my illiteracy :( ).

zzffnn, I sent you PM, but with the piece of rock not being sufficient for another slide, and with my reluctance to let go of the slide I bought, it looks like you will be disappointed. However, since you were attracted to the beautiful colors that The QCC got (as I was), I think you may find something as beautiful if you browse the website where I originally bought the slides and rocks (I think his prices are very reasonable, and his work very good):
http://geosec.biz/Default.aspx
He gives good descriptions and several pictures from each. You may have to wait until he gets one that interest you (sometimes he has only one for sale, sometimes many).

I hope this helps.

gekko

#21 Post by gekko » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:01 am

zzffnn, I just found out that Geosec will, whenever possible (i.e. not guaranteed), make a thin section from a rock that he had already sold a thin section of, and he lists (with pictures) all the ones he has sold. He will charge the same price as the one he had previously sold (in this case £14.95). Here is a link to his website showing the relevant page:
http://geosec.biz/Sold-items-For-refere ... %20ASC&p=5
I hope this helps. By the way, he is an excellent guy to deal with and you can pay with Paypal or with a credit card once the slide is ready for shipping.

zzffnn

#22 Post by zzffnn » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:19 am

Thank you Gekko. That (from olf stock) was how I purchase my two slides from Rob/Geosec.

billbillt

#23 Post by billbillt » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:05 am

I find these two posted graphic compositions very boring and amateurish... Not much effort went into these... HOHUM....

BillT

mrsonchus

#24 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:06 pm

Wow, I know nothing about rocks or their preparation, but I know the product of hard work, dedication, talent, determination and sheer enthusiasm when I see it!

These slides (this and your others) are a huge credit to your talent and expertise - I take my hat off to your work! :)

Sorry I can't really contribute any knowledge to the subject but boy, I always admire not only your superb images but your always-evident capabilities - inspirational! :D
John B

billbillt

#25 Post by billbillt » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:51 pm

I was not referring to rocks or their composition... If you will notice the two attached "graphic art" pictures.... That is what I was commenting on... Not the high quality work he did on rock samples.. The graphic compositions are bad..

BillT

billbillt

#26 Post by billbillt » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:15 pm

Posting of photos here are subject to critique by other members... I found the two submitted pieces of "artwork" to very, very bad... If you ever visited his web page and viewed his other work you will see they vary from boring to so-so... Nothing there could be considered "great" by any imagination... I am not alone...Someone else also posted this obliquely:

"It is very easy to become an artist, All you need to do is proclaim yourself as one. Your peers may still point out that you don't have your ducks in a row but it doesn't really matter because you have artistic license. I suppose the phrase " successful artist " or some other catch phrase might come to mind, which tends to cover for that slight deficiency in qualification that the burgeoning world of artists holds dear."

" I don't think anyone need apologize or change their line of reasoning on anything here."

Nothing he presents as "artwork" is anywhere near as stellar as your work with microtome and sections... Your work comes without question from anyone here..

mrsonchus

#27 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:54 pm

Hi Bill, you've lost-me (i.e. confused-me) for one here a bit I'm afraid - to whom are your last two posts addressed?
John B

billbillt

#28 Post by billbillt » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi John,
I was just clearing up the area of my commenting for you... I was speaking in reference to the two outer space "don't panic" art pics he posted.. Not about the great petrographic work that he presented... I had criticized the two pics and you spoke of the quality and amount of work that he put into the rock samples..

The Best,
BillT

mrsonchus

#29 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:29 pm

Erm, Bill,
my post was clearly addressed to 'The QCC' and in no-way any kind of response to or about your previous post, the terms included within my post -

"...These slides (this and your others) are a huge credit to your talent and expertise - I take my hat off to your work! :)
Sorry I can't really contribute any knowledge to the subject but boy, I always admire not only your superb images but your always-evident capabilities - inspirational!..."

don't really seem to suggest otherwise -do they - if indeed they do then that is purely unintentional. My intention in making the post was and still is to complement 'The QCC' on his superb achievements that demonstrate his talents amply in my opinion.

As for the composite-pictures, I assume surely that they're a little lighthearted fun and in themselves show imagination and some measure of the technical-ability needed for the image-manipulations applied - such as what look like 3D texture-maps (depth-maps maybe) as may be constructed with some software.

As for artistic abilities, I know nothing about art - purely, as so many concepts, a product of the mind of the observer? I also see (read) no tangible intention by 'The QCC' in the post to present them as such in this forum, regardless of activities elsewhere, which in the context of my own presence in this forum, is irrelevant to me personally - for others I cannot of course speak.

I'm simply reading posts happily and commenting as and when I feel like it - whatever you have to say about 'The QCC' and/or his posts is of very little concern to me personally. I just love microscopy and admire dedication and ability, as exhibited by the very fine work seen in the post in question... :D
John B

billbillt

#30 Post by billbillt » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:40 pm

Hi John,

Fair enough... Anyway all of this is moot... It seems theqcc has left quite a while back... I had came across this post in an old email and had forgotten about i.. It is very old.. I was just curious why he would post something of poor quality.. It seems a person would post their best for people to look at.. Unless there he considers this to be his best... Anyway,
Have a great day!
BillT