Collection disposal ?

This is the place where collectors can discuss their passion.
lorez2

Collection disposal ?

#1 Post by lorez2 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:27 am

To those of you who are OLD and have microscope collections of any magnitude that warrant more thoughtful disposition than a dumpster. What are your plans ?

It has been suggested that I think about this issue before I croak.

lorez2
Nikon 80i

Scarodactyl

Re: Collection disposal ?

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:55 am

I've been to a couple estate sales with microscopes. It can be handled that way successfully. That said eBay listings will probably have a chance at getting more money.

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:37 am

Deleted
Last edited by PeteM on Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patta

#4 Post by patta » Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:59 am

The Quekett Microscopical club of UK (average age: 85 years old) have that streamlined and regularly hold auctions of lots from fellow microscope hoarders, similarly to the "pact" above.
The Quekett's Estate Auctions website is accessible only for members, thanks to their young webmaster Alan Wood.

It is curious how microscopy as hobby is practiced mostly at super-old age.
Either it is a natural arrival point (requires patience, time at home and some money) or the interest for this type of citizen science isn't felt much in the younger generations.
In my case I think I've started with telescope and microscopy because the eyes started getting less sharp - hence the crave for some serious optical aid!

dtsh

#5 Post by dtsh » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:08 pm

I keep notes about the instruments I have, including descriptions of them I would use if I were posting them to eBay. With others I have notes that indicate they should be handed to anyone who's interested with or without money.

For example, I have an AO Series 35 that's in excellent shape, but it's a monocular model; includes case, illuminator, etc, that has a note to just give it away. I have a couple of AO Series 10's with phase contrast, their notes include descriptions of the objectives, additional parts like the APU (bertrand lens), etc and a few comments about what kind of pictures will be most appreciated by buyers and an expected value of the instruments if I were to sell them today.
My specimen collections head off to the state university for cataloging/disposal as they see fit.

Among the notes left are the URL to this forum and my username for notifying and helping to liquidate parts and miscellaneous slides before tossing them on eBay. I think most understand my collection isn't particularly valuable and that shipping will be the biggest impediment.

lorez2

#6 Post by lorez2 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:34 pm

Thanks, all for the discussion and ideas.

Observations regarding age and frequency are spot-on. Other than those who use microscopes professionally I know only one other who is a hobbyist..

I've looked into donations to schools, universities, libraries, etc., and there always seem to be other elements to be overcome.

I did see a 1923 Bausch & Lomb monocular model with a case and a couple of slides at an asking price of $285.00, That gives me some hope... maybe I'll get a booth in an antique mall.

lorez2
Nikon 80i

lorez2

#7 Post by lorez2 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:58 pm

I'm replying to myself. After saying I know only one other microscope hobbyist I should note that I was considering only my immediate neighborhood. Globally, I am blessed to know many, many, many.

lorez
Nikon 80i

PeteM

#8 Post by PeteM » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:00 pm

Deleted
Last edited by PeteM on Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lorez2

#9 Post by lorez2 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:29 am

"For those willing to stick with it, " are the guiding words for any successful endeavor. I got a nice little microscope when I was ten and had great "scientific fun" with it for awhile and then other life activities got in the way. The interest was just dormant and now, many years later, I'm faced with the dilemma of disposing of "the collection".
Nikon 80i

apochronaut

#10 Post by apochronaut » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:09 am

There has been a big resurgence of microscopy as a hobby in the past 10 or so years, largely due to the easy availability of cheap Asian hobby scopes. Certainly a portion of those who got the bug that way, will stay with it and eventually want something old school with craftsmanship in order to flesh out THEIR collection. I think a market for older non-Chinese microscopes is there and about to grow for complete vintage scopes. Parts are a little different.There has always been a healthy market for elite parts but run of the mill stuff, not so much.
I would look to ebay but maybe start on this forum with a list. Always , packing and shipping is a drag. Do you have someone to assist you or perhaps you are looking to dispose as you say of " The Collection"?

woyjwjl

#11 Post by woyjwjl » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:14 am

Before 50, I was busy looking for sellers

After 60, busy looking for buyers :mrgreen:
Micrographers from China, thanks to the forum for providing a platform for exchange

lorez2

#12 Post by lorez2 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:54 am

Apo and woyj,

Great points. Apo, I do not know anyone nearby who has the 'expertise' and none of my 'knowledgeable' colleagues are interested. Their solution is the dumpster. I need to be discrete so my lovely wife will not discover why we could never afford a new dishwasher.
Woyj, you are absolutely right. The youthful vigor of acquisition eventually gives way to the age induced need to 'refocus'.

lorez2
Nikon 80i

Dubious

#13 Post by Dubious » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:54 am

Probably a combination of things makes microscopy today the province of the older crowd, not least of all the proliferation of addictive high-tech entertainment/communication devices used by the young. I don't think it was always that way. I have a sense that around a century ago, before TV and radio took over, and long before home computers and cell phones, microscopes may have been more popular (at least for households that could afford one). I am impressed by the 85 years average age at the Quekett Microscopical Club in the UK (noted above by Patta). I wonder what the average age is here?

lorez2

#14 Post by lorez2 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:16 am

I know only one group well enough to speak to their age and most are on the older side (with me). They are getting some interest from some younger folks and that is necessary to keep the group going.

lorez
Nikon 80i

Scarodactyl

#15 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:39 pm

I suspect Journey to Microcosmos is helping.

jwellsy

#16 Post by jwellsy » Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:55 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:39 pm
I suspect Journey to Microcosmos is helping.
True!
We have entered into a nano generation.
The 'Internet-Of-Things' has evolved into the 'Internet-Of-Bio-Nano-Things'.
Researchers are now exploring the pico bio realm.
Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) systems powered by mitochondria and communicating with cells is in the near future.
These things that can't be seen with the naked eye creates curiosity in some people.

I suspect that the average age of microscope owners will decrease, unless the education system breeds out scientific curiosity and questioning.

Young people are not going to be interested in the same things as old people. We need to appeal to things that they see impacting their world. I suggest translating your item descriptions from just fact based noun names into 8th grade narratives of uses and benefits.

Jiana34

#17 Post by Jiana34 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:38 am

lorez2 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:27 am
geometry dash unblocked
To those of you who are OLD and have microscope collections of any magnitude that warrant more thoughtful disposition than a dumpster. What are your plans ?

It has been suggested that I think about this issue before I croak.

lorez2
In the last ten or so years, microscopy has experienced a significant rebirth as a pastime, primarily because affordable Asian hobby scopes are now widely available. Anyway, this topic is so interesting.

hypancistrus

#18 Post by hypancistrus » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:25 pm

I also noticed my hobbies are getting weirder as I age. I bought an old wooden crank phone too…

With that said, I was thinking about this with my wife a few weeks ago.

I collect a bunch of stuff that people who just died owned. When I die, it’s going to some other person collecting old junk at the end of their life…

What’s the point? Kind of a depressing thought.

dtsh

#19 Post by dtsh » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:41 pm

hypancistrus wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:25 pm
I also noticed my hobbies are getting weirder as I age. I bought an old wooden crank phone too…

With that said, I was thinking about this with my wife a few weeks ago.

I collect a bunch of stuff that people who just died owned. When I die, it’s going to some other person collecting old junk at the end of their life…

What’s the point? Kind of a depressing thought.
It's an old process commented on by many throughout the years; Thoreau rails against it in Walden:
Thoreau, Walden (ch1) wrote: Not long since I was present at the auction of a deacon’s effects, for his life had not been ineffectual:—
“The evil that men do lives after them.”
As usual, a great proportion was trumpery which had begun to accumulate in his father’s day. Among the rest was a dried tapeworm. And now, after lying half a century in his garret and other dust holes, these things were not burned; instead of a bonfire, or purifying destruction of them, there was an auction, or increasing of them. The neighbors eagerly collected to view them, bought them all, and carefully transported them to their garrets and dust holes, to lie there till their estates are settled, when they will start again.
In the grand scheme I suppose everything is pointless. We're all going to die and while most of us will be remembered for a generation or two, few of us will live on forever as was one of Achilles' fates. In the grander scheme, the Earth will eventually be consumed by the Sun as it expands and even that too will eventually run out and join a dead universe at the heat-death of the universe. What we do might seem meaningless, I suppose it is from certain perspectives, but it doesn't seem so meaningless while I'm living it.

zzffnn

#20 Post by zzffnn » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:38 pm

Hello Lorez2 and others,

I am happy to “collect” one more microscope for myself and my young sons.

I would like an inverted scope, 160mm tube length, with good fine focus drive and a holder ring for condenser. I do not need power supply, light, condenser, objectives or eyepieces. USA address and PayPal as payment.

Thank you!

Scarodactyl

#21 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:53 pm

I might have just the thing, please send me a message later this week when I'm back home.

lorez2

#22 Post by lorez2 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:42 pm

I have an Olympus CK that is missing a few parts. Maybe that will work.

lorez
Nikon 80i

MikeBradley

#23 Post by MikeBradley » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:05 am

Following the death of a friend, a retired microscopy prof., his widow asked me to arrange disposal of his substantial collection of equipment (inverted, fluorescent, Photomicrscopes and more). I was able to find a home for it with a local marine research charitable organisation whom were very happy to receive it in exchange for a tax receipt to his widow. I'm leaving similar instructions when my time comes!
Michael
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D

lorez2

#24 Post by lorez2 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:17 am

I've been talking to a local library and there is some interest, but quite a bit of "committee" work has to be done... I hope I last that long... :D

lorez
Nikon 80i

PeteM

#25 Post by PeteM » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:51 am

Hope you have better luck with a library than I. Years ago, I offered six identical microscopes to our local library to lend out. Also offered to periodically maintain them. The initial reaction was encouraging. But before long the "committee" decided it was just too much trouble. This, from an otherwise pretty decent library system.

On the other hand there's a single librarian with a bit of a science background and a location next to a lagoon by the Monterey Bay. She hosts a successful "Lagoon Scientist" summer program for kids - and has made good use of a couple of donated scopes.

lorez2

#26 Post by lorez2 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:13 am

Several years ago I gave the library two fairly good student microscopes (Swift M3200) with cases and they are still using them.

If they decide to accept my "collection" it will be for display only as some of the scopes are quite old and a little historically significant.

We will see...

lorez
Nikon 80i