Remote shutter issue in Canon LIve View

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
Free2Fish

Remote shutter issue in Canon LIve View

#1 Post by Free2Fish » Sat May 18, 2024 9:41 pm

I've been experimenting with an LED/flash unit along with a foot actuated remote shutter release and I've had issues using it in Live View with the Canon EOS Utility program on my Canon T3i. It seemed to work for a while and then stopped working. If I take it out of Live View mode, it works as expected. Does anyone have any any insight into what may be going on here?
Thanks, Harry

Chas

Re: Remote shutter issue in Canon LIve View

#2 Post by Chas » Sun May 19, 2024 9:08 pm

Are you using the pop up flash to trigger a second flash?
It's a while since I used the flash on the 600d but I seem to remember that 'something needed to recharge' before I could take the next shot .. using a flash cable to connect & trigger the external flash was more satisfactory
(But I was using the flip screen rather than EOS utility to focus et al).

Free2Fish

#3 Post by Free2Fish » Mon May 20, 2024 8:01 am

No, I’m using a remote cable directly from the foot petal to the camera. Works well when not in Live View but not when using it. IIRC it used to work so something has changed but I can’t seem to figure out what.

Harry

Chas

#4 Post by Chas » Mon May 20, 2024 6:32 pm

It's not your foot operated shutter release! .. Even the main shutter release button doesnt work with my 600D (and neither does my cable release) when tethered to eos utilities liveview shooting.
BUT.......
If I connect the camera to the computer and let eos utility open (without opening Utility's liveview shooting) I can take a picture with the cable release (which appears on the computer screen)
If I then switch the camera body to Liveview I can take a picture (which appears on the computer screen)
if I THEN open live view shooting in EOS utility I can then use the cable release with eos ultility's live viewer open.

I have repeated this sequence 4 times and the cable release (only a generic thing) has triggered the camera each time.

I am not sure which part of the sequence is important , but I suspect it is taking a photo with the camera body in liveview mode before openning EOS utilite's liveview screen .

Give it a go ... and do say if it does or doesnt work

Free2Fish

#5 Post by Free2Fish » Mon May 20, 2024 8:08 pm

Thanks Chas, by selecting Live View in the camera, rather than in EOS Utility, the remote foot petal works. In my case though, the "Live View" button on EOS Utility is inactive unless I close the image screen. If I close that screen, then the button become active and I can choose "Live View" from the EOS Utility.
It seems the critical step is to open "Live View" on the camera rather than in EOS Utility and the remote foot petal will work. I don't see a reason to then activate "Live View" using EOS Utility.
Or am I missing something? That happens occasionally. ;)

iconoclastica

#6 Post by iconoclastica » Wed May 22, 2024 7:27 pm

Free2Fish wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 8:08 pm
It seems the critical step is to open "Live View" on the camera rather than in EOS Utility and the remote foot petal will work. I don't see a reason to then activate "Live View" using EOS Utility.
I use the EOS 7D, but have the same experience: software-activated life-view cannt be triggered by the remote shutter cable.