Zeiss Photomicroscope III power supply

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
iPeace

Zeiss Photomicroscope III power supply

#1 Post by iPeace » Sat May 25, 2024 9:45 pm

I have a PM-3, but no power supply. Is there any great advantage to using the stock power supply as opposed to making an LED source with anything that will drive it?

One reason to own the stock power supply is to use the camera, but film has given way to digital, so maybe not. The other is just to have the complete kit.

Getting a used power supply comes with the attended problems - no one can ever test anything so they are generally sold as-is. As a 50 year old piece of equipment, many old units get cannibalized for parts to keep other supplies working. One can never tell by looking at pictures online. Weight seems an easy criteria to know if any big pieces have been removed. To that end, could any PM-III users out there tell me how much their power supplies weigh? I am guessing there was more than one revision, so if you do happen to post the weight of your PM-III power supply, please include the full part number. The basic model number is 47 20 83, but I have seen model numbers that append a "/xx", which I assume is a revision. This begs another question: will any PM-III base work with any revision of PM-III power supply?