This Plan to Bring Back an Extinct Ice-Age Horse Species Is an Extreme Long Shot, Scientists Say

Posts that are not microscopy-related should be placed here.

apochronaut

Re: This Plan to Bring Back an Extinct Ice-Age Horse Species Is an Extreme Long Shot, Scientists Say

#2 Post by apochronaut » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:34 pm

The cloned horse will have an ice age mentality anyway.....be a complete luddite, not understanding or rejecting modern ideas, such as machine hulled oats, innovations such as bridles, shoes , blankets let alone be capable of dancing like the R.C.M.P. horses can .....and can you imagine it trying to figure out the complications of a stable door?
...won't understand 21st century neighing. In short it will be saddled with a prehistoric intellect and probably end up being a total horse's ass. why bother?

Hobbyst46

Re: This Plan to Bring Back an Extinct Ice-Age Horse Species Is an Extreme Long Shot, Scientists Say

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:10 pm

After having so completely and successfully revived T-Rex, Velociraptor, diplodocus, triceratops etc from a fossil-imbibed mosquito, a 40,000-years horse should be a piece of cake.

rnabholz

#4 Post by rnabholz » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:00 pm

apochronaut wrote:The cloned horse will have an ice age mentality anyway.....be a complete luddite, not understanding or rejecting modern ideas, such as machine hulled oats, innovations such as bridles, shoes , blankets let alone be capable of dancing like the R.C.M.P. horses can .....and can you imagine it trying to figure out the complications of a stable door?
...won't understand 21st century neighing. In short it will be saddled with a prehistoric intellect and probably end up being a total horse's ass. why bother?
So you can lead a prehistoric horse to water, but it won't be able to figure out how to get the cap off of the bottle?

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:27 am

Pretty much.....they would be a hit at parties though; "oh , please let ME open the perrier for Mr.Edwardian, this time"....or as lawn ornaments, showpiece at The Belmont,

Rodney

#6 Post by Rodney » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:59 am

I think I will go with what the scientist will be able to do (dna) in a few hundred years if not sooner, more than likely none of us will be around to read about it.
At one time man thought nothing could replace the horse and buggy, so what will man, scientist be doing in another 100,000 years?
More scientific thoughts for extinct species than just a couple is a lot better.
Rodney

GaryB

#7 Post by GaryB » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:51 am

Why even look at horses when there are neanderthals we could bring back! I mean, they haven't been gone *that* much longer. Let's have a vote on it.

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:24 pm

As it turns out, Neanderthals interbred with Cro Magnons, so there are Neanderthal genes here and there and everywhere. One might ask if, those who lean more or less in that direction, enough to be knuckle draggers ; might not be the ones trying to bring back a withered horse baby.

Rodney

#9 Post by Rodney » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:03 pm

I doubt it, but let dna science continue, that battered up dna from this example of the distant past is just waiting in some form to be properly processed. I would not bet my life it can`t be done, and new dna science will continue into the future. I have no doubts you will see no end to ancient dna science in the future.
To me this is very interesting, and looks like for a lot of other people in this field.
Rodney