Immersion Oil Recommendation

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
gillyj

Immersion Oil Recommendation

#1 Post by gillyj » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:30 pm

Beginner looking to make first purchase of immersion oil. I see there are a few different brands and types (A, B, non drying . . ) available on Amazon. Does it make a difference what I use or is the type determined by objective specs? Are certain brands better than others?

Hobbyst46

Re: Immersion Oil Recommendation

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:09 pm

Cargille is a long-term famous and reliable brand.
However the main difference between type A and type B, for other brands as well, is viscosity. Type A is less viscous, Type B is much more viscous. For Upright microscopy I prefer type A. Type B is advantageous for inverted microscopy, I think, since it stays better between the objective top and the slide (or petri dish) bottom. Also note that viscosity drops considerably with temperature. When the specimen is at 37C for example (say, a live tissue or human cells) the viscosity is visibly less than at ordinary RT.

Tom Jones

Re: Immersion Oil Recommendation

#3 Post by Tom Jones » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:37 pm

I've always preferred a 50:50 mixture of high and low viscosity for normal work in clinical labs, and that's what I use at home. :D

Buying both to mix, while a bit more expensive, has the side benefit of allowing you to try all three and stay with what you find most convenient for the work you do.