How much is my Olympus BH-2/BHS worth?

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
Micronoob

How much is my Olympus BH-2/BHS worth?

#1 Post by Micronoob » Wed May 20, 2020 2:34 am

Hi everyone, my daughter was given an Olympus BH-2/BHS scope. She doesn't use it because her school has microscopes that they use in class. We were going to sell it and put the money in her savings account.

They seem to go between about $500 and over $10k?? I don't know near enough to know what ours has to venture a guess at a fair price. Can anyone help me out with a fair asking price on it please? I have attached a few photos to help.

PeteM

Re: How much is my Olympus BH-2/BHS worth?

#2 Post by PeteM » Wed May 20, 2020 3:58 am

Closer to $500 on Ebay, selling some parts for extra.

1) The Leitz is a decent objective, assuming good condition, but doesn't really belong on that stand. Might fetch $150 or so separately?? Including it with the stand is as likely to send a wrong "signal" to a prospective buyer as fetch its worth. It will work, but not optimally.

2) A working BHS in good shape and a trinocular head might bring $500 along with a cosmetically damaged 10x SPlan? This is as very nice scope - put up for bid it might bring more or less. If your daughter might have a continuing interest, despite this not being a $10K lottery ticket, it would be a great scope to own and use. If there's a magnification changer in good shape, maybe $200-300 on that.

3) No closeups of the 100x, but looks like it might be an SPlan Apo?? Depending upon condition might be worth selling separately. If it's a "no cover" objective, maybe ask $299? I'd pay $200 for it - but you likely can do better.

These would be selling on Ebay, with good descriptions, in good condition. You'll lose some on fees. Safe packing will take some effort.

Micronoob

#3 Post by Micronoob » Wed May 20, 2020 3:23 pm

Thank you so much for the reply! We would rather sell it and let someone enjoy it that will use it.

So you are saying it may be worth it to remove the Leitz objective and the 100x SPlan Apo and selling them separately? Then sell the scope with just the single objective?

Btw, I took a closer look at the 100x and it is an SPlan Apo. As a thank you for your help, I'd sell it to you for the $200 if you're interested. Pardon my ignorance, but what is a no cover objective? I'm assuming they come with protective covers of some sort?

Here is a photo of it.

PeteM wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:58 am
Closer to $500 on Ebay, selling some parts for extra.

1) The Leitz is a decent objective, assuming good condition, but doesn't really belong on that stand. Might fetch $150 or so separately?? Including it with the stand is as likely to send a wrong "signal" to a prospective buyer as fetch its worth. It will work, but not optimally.

2) A working BHS in good shape and a trinocular head might bring $500 along with a cosmetically damaged 10x SPlan? This is as very nice scope - put up for bid it might bring more or less. If your daughter might have a continuing interest, despite this not being a $10K lottery ticket, it would be a great scope to own and use. If there's a magnification changer in good shape, maybe $200-300 on that.

3) No closeups of the 100x, but looks like it might be an SPlan Apo?? Depending upon condition might be worth selling separately. If it's a "no cover" objective, maybe ask $299? I'd pay $200 for it - but you likely can do better.

These would be selling on Ebay, with good descriptions, in good condition. You'll lose some on fees. Safe packing will take some effort.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Wed May 20, 2020 7:20 pm

Greetings Micronoob, Your 100x is actually an even more valuable objective than I thought. The ".17" on it means it is meant to be used with a thin glass cover slip over the specimen - the normal way. It's worth $300-400 if in good shape. A "NC" for no cover objective means it is meant for use with No Cover slip - sometimes used for things like blood smears.

I don't need that one - someone else here might - but have sent you a message on how to get a fair value for what you have.

viktor j nilsson

#5 Post by viktor j nilsson » Wed May 20, 2020 8:13 pm

You also have a OLYMPUS BH2-CA on there, which is a magnification changer + focusable bertrand lens. I believe that is a very useful item which is fairly rare and sought-after. That should fetch ~300 USD on its own (at least that's what the two listed in eBay sold items were sold for).

In addition it looks like it has an Olympus Aplanat Achromat 1.4 condenser - that is an exceptionally good condenser, worth $300 on its own.

If I were you, I would probably sell the objectives (even the 10x), the magnification changer and the condenser separately. And then list the bare stand + trinocular head on its own.

Selling the stand with a single, damaged 10x objective is more likely to raise suspicion that it's had a rough life than increase the price.

A BHS with a trinocular head and is a very good stand that lots of people want to build upon.

Micronoob

#6 Post by Micronoob » Wed May 20, 2020 9:35 pm

Wow, you guys are extremely helpful! Thank you so much for the insight, even though I'm not quite sure what the parts are that Viktor was mentioning haha.

Is there any restriction to listing these on this site for sale? If it's not allowed, I will just list them on eBay. I guess I have a little more research to do.

Thank you guys very much!

viktor j nilsson

#7 Post by viktor j nilsson » Wed May 20, 2020 10:02 pm

To give you an idea of what you're looking at here are eBay ads for the things we've mentioned:

BH2-CA magnification changer:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/221401059882
(Outrageously priced, but 12 watchers so it's an item that people are looking for)

1.4 Aplanat Achromat condenser:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303283890434

100x SplanApo:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/172779623762

You should remember that the prices you see on eBay tend to be higher than what people are actually willing to pay (that's why they are still there!). But you can search for listings that have ended, which will give you an idea of what they tend to sell for. Each of these items are in the $300 range, or a little above that. Great find, that scope. I wouldn't mind getting those kinds of gifts!

viktor j nilsson

#8 Post by viktor j nilsson » Wed May 20, 2020 10:10 pm

If you decide to put the objectives on eBay: make sure you take good photos of the front lens as well as a nice clear 'through-the-rear-lens' photo. Good photos really help the buyer feel confident and willing to pay a bit more than for a poorly photographed objective.

And don't post photographs of it standing on it's front lens (as in your photos above)! That is a critical lens surface and treating it that way suggests that the seller doesn't know or care.

Micronoob

#9 Post by Micronoob » Wed May 20, 2020 11:30 pm

Thank you again for the info, Viktor! I will be sure to take your advice. I guess I have lived up to me screen name haha!

I was hoping my daughter would have a little more interest in it by now but she is focussed on other things at this age. At least we can sell them to people that can appreciate them and put the money in her savings account.
viktor j nilsson wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:10 pm
If you decide to put the objectives on eBay: make sure you take good photos of the front lens as well as a nice clear 'through-the-rear-lens' photo. Good photos really help the buyer feel confident and willing to pay a bit more than for a poorly photographed objective.

And don't post photographs of it standing on it's front lens (as in your photos above)! That is a critical lens surface and treating it that way suggests that the seller doesn't know or care.

#10 Post by 92111 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:34 pm

Does your daughter agree to sell it?
this is a good microscope,
It will be difficult to buy in the future。

Micronoob

#11 Post by Micronoob » Thu May 21, 2020 11:35 pm

Yes, I wouldn't do it without her permission. She is almost 12 years old and has her eye on other things.
92111 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:34 pm
Does your daughter agree to sell it?
this is a good microscope,
It will be difficult to buy in the future。

dtsh

#12 Post by dtsh » Fri May 22, 2020 5:19 am

Micronoob wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:35 pm
Yes, I wouldn't do it without her permission. She is almost 12 years old and has her eye on other things.
You know your daughter and your circumstances better than any of us, but I would be tempted to hold onto it a few more years if I could. You may have already done this, but if you wish to spark an interest I would recommend you use it yourself and share those experiences with her; we all tend to learn better by example and not on our own. Given there is the lost opportunites of what that money could be used for today in that scenario. Whatever happens, I wish you both the best!

75RR

#13 Post by 75RR » Fri May 22, 2020 1:50 pm

dtsh wrote: You know your daughter and your circumstances better than any of us, but I would be tempted to hold onto it a few more years if I could.
I would agree. Almost 12 years old is a little young to expect a person to have developed an interest in Science. Give her a few more years and if it does turn out that Science appeals to her then that very fine microscope will be an excellent start.

As to putting the money in her savings account - I think you will find the microscope will retain its value - and as such might well prove a better investment if kept for a while, both in monetary terms and as a potential option in your daughters future.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Hobbyst46

#14 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:09 pm

75RR wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:50 pm
dtsh wrote: You know your daughter and your circumstances better than any of us, but I would be tempted to hold onto it a few more years if I could.
I would agree. Almost 12 years old is a little young to expect a person to have developed an interest in Science. Give her a few more years and if it does turn out that Science appeals to her then that very fine microscope will be an excellent start.

As to putting the money in her savings account - I think you will find the microscope will retain its value - and as such might well prove a better investment if kept for a while, both in monetary terms and as a potential option in your daughters future.
Agree with every word.
Just a note - in the case you choose to keep it, I would suggest to use it from time to time. At least, say once every 1-2 months or so. To keep all mechanical mechanisms and joints in usable form. Avoid drying of grease, stuck parts, fungus in optics etc.

BramHuntingNematodes

#15 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Fri May 22, 2020 4:16 pm

My son is 8 and he likes to go hunting for specimens. Not as interested in the fiddly work of getting the settings on this ancient scope to produce a good image, but very interested in looking at the images. Particularly, he likes the camera set up, which means that we can observe the same thing at the same time. It's never too young to inculcate love of natural history!
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Sabatini

#16 Post by Sabatini » Sat May 23, 2020 1:12 am

Very important recommendations, it would be good to try to interest the girl in the microscope and her interaction with everything that implies.good teaching and very good pedagogical points of view.

Thank you

MicroMan2

#17 Post by MicroMan2 » Mon May 25, 2020 4:17 am

In extension to Micronoob's question.
What are the individual prices of Olympus S Plan Objectives? For example what is the price range of an S Plan 10, S Plan 40, and S Plan 20?

75RR

#18 Post by 75RR » Mon May 25, 2020 4:27 am

MicroMan2 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:17 am
In extension to Micronoob's question.
What are the individual prices of Olympus S Plan Objectives? For example what is the price range of an S Plan 10, S Plan 40, and S Plan 20?
A good way to get an idea of the average price an item on Ebay is going for, is to place the question in Advanced Search and tick the sold listings box.

It shows items sold for the last 3 months. Answers appear in green.

Do note that if an offer has been accepted the actual amount agreed to is not disclosed.

Advanced Search allows for more fine tuning in the search but I find that the sold listings box is the most useful,

in fact one should always have an idea of what the average sold for price is before buying anything on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Ol ... 1&_fosrp=1
Attachments
Advanced Search.png
Advanced Search.png (48.01 KiB) Viewed 7906 times
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Micronoob

#19 Post by Micronoob » Mon May 25, 2020 3:40 pm

Thank you everyone for the input. I'll pose the question to her of selling it one more time and have her make the final call. Science is her favorite subject in school, however she does have a 12 year old girl's attention span at the same time haha.

Scarodactyl

#20 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon May 25, 2020 5:06 pm

If you do sell perhaps some proceeds cpuld be rolled into a stereo microscope. They are a lot easier to use, requring no sample prep and workign across a range of normal subjects. Plus the image is 3D and not reversed.

Micronoob

#21 Post by Micronoob » Wed May 27, 2020 6:55 pm

Hmm, this sounds cool. I'll have to look into it. Thanks!
Scarodactyl wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:06 pm
If you do sell perhaps some proceeds cpuld be rolled into a stereo microscope. They are a lot easier to use, requring no sample prep and workign across a range of normal subjects. Plus the image is 3D and not reversed.

BramHuntingNematodes

#22 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Wed May 27, 2020 8:29 pm

A compound microscope is a tool for the researcher or laboratory technician or an excellent diversion for the hobbyist. The stereo microscope, on the other hand, in addition to those three things, is also a necessary household appliance!
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Karol_

#23 Post by Karol_ » Sat May 30, 2020 7:10 pm

Dear Micronoob,
When you decide what to do with this microscope, please let me know, I would love to buy it.
Karol